I’m really inspired by the Zero-Waste movement. I think it brings awareness towards the consequences of our consumption. We should all be cognisant about how much plastic we use and make a serious effort to change our habits.
Here are some useful tips:
- ALWAYS carry a water bottle around. Plastic water bottles are horrible for the environment and although they can be recycled, they don’t always make it there. You’ll also save money by never having to pay convenient store prices just to hydrate yourself.
- Carry around a tote bag or a foldable bag. You never know when you’ll have to shop and bringing your own bag protects the environment and your wallet. I have a little foldable fabric bag that takes up very little space. Here are some cute options.
- Bring your own tumblers to coffee shops. If you frequently get your caffeine buzz from a cafe you can eliminate plastic waste by bringing your own consumption vessel. Keep in mind that even though many paper cups say they are recyclable, the glue used to hold together is not.
- Bring your own cutlery everywhere (like the BattleGreenbox set I wrote about here). You’ll never have to use a plastic spork again!
- Think about investing in a bag with lots of storage room. Why do people need a separate bag for their smartphone? The smaller the bag, the likelier you are to buy plastic bags at the store (this is easy for me to say as I’m not into popular fashion and am always carrying around my old Fjällräven backpack). Always say no to cashiers, baggers, and salesmen who try to pack your things!
- Stop buying books and start going to the library. Going to the library is so relaxing and will leave you with a more peaceful, grounded outlook when you leave. Plus, by not buying books you’ll be saving space, money, and trees.
- If you have to buy groceries with packaging, make sure it’s recyclable. If you have to choose between canned beans or beans in a cardboard container, go with the cardboard because it is easier to recycle.
I hope you can use some of these tips. Share your own in the comments!